Hirsch

Hirsch, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hirsch is a Small Hamlet located on SE 1/4 of Sec 3, Twp 3, Rge 5, W2 in S.E. Saskatchewan

Hirsch was founded in May 1892 by the “Young Men's Hebrew Benevolent Association” of Montreal, acting on behalf of “The Jewish Colonization Association”


Hirsch Panorama, taken May 2003, from the West, looking East



Map of Hirsch and area

Created by Jewish Settlers, as a primarily Jewish Colony, supported by a donation in 1890 from the Baron Maurice de Hirsch Institute, with the assistance of the Jewish Colonization Association. It is named after it's benefactor, Baron Maurice Hirsch. First, hence oldest, and only Jewish colony, directly organized and established in Canada by the Jewish Colonization Association.

Each family was given a $500.00 loan repayable at 4% interest. During the 1930's most of the Jewish Families left the area, and moved to Winnipeg. It is ironic, that today this is very productive land, for Grain, and also for Oil production, from the 1960's until today.

Baron Maurice de Hirsch

  • or Moritz Freiherr Von Hirsch auf Gereuth
  • b- Dec 9, 1831 in Munich, Bavaria
  • d- April 21, 1896 at his Estate at Érsekújvár near Komorn, Hungary
  • When he died, he left an estate, valued at $125,000,000.00 made chiefly in Railway Enterprises.
  • He gave $10,000,000.00 to the Jewish Colonization Assoc. of the USA

Hirsch History is being collected by a former resident, Gail Skikevitch.Please click on the link below, for a mail in form, to contribute to her Book

Hirsch History Form in .pdf format

Famous Person born in Hirsch Joseph "Joe" Tucker

Hirsch Sub-Sections


©

  • Last modified: 2017/10/21 13:43
  • by dlgent