Grand Trunk Pacific History

  • Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad (GTPR) was Incorporated by an Act of Parliament in 1903 as a wholly owned Subsidiary of the Grand Trunk Railroad of Canada.
  • For the construction of the GTPR there was the Eastern Division and the Western Division, with the divisional point being Winnipeg MB
  • In the Western Division, they had the:
    • Prairie Section:from Winnipeg, via Edmonton, to Wolf Creek Alberta, abt. 916 miles.
    • Mountain Section, from Wolf Creek to Prince Rupert, abt. 840 miles.
  • Railroad passed through 1 summit of 3,712 ft
  • A Subsidiary Company incorporated in 1906, The Grand Trunk Pacific Branch Lines Company handled all the branch lines along the line.
  • The First Sod was turned at Sandhill Manitoba, Aug 28, 1905 for the building of the GTPR
  • At a point a mile and half east of Nechako River Crossing, BC shortly before 2 pm, Apr 7, 1914 the final rails were laid

Memorabilia

From an Anonymous Donor comes these fantastic items of China, Crystal, and Silver Items, from their Personal Collection, photos Nov 2, 2017



These Railroad Companies built opulant Hotels, with the finest China, Silver, and Crystal items used in their Hotel Restaurants, Dinings Cars etc.
This is just a small sample of the fine things they used. A beautiful collection for sure.

Explanation of the GTP Crests from donor: GTP China, with “ Grand Trunk ”, above the crest, and, “ Grand Trunk Pacific ”, below, tells us that this piece saw service on their Dining Cars.
Hotel China showed the individual Hotel name above, and either Grand Trunk, as in the Chateau Laurier , or Grand Trunk Pacific, ( Fort Garry, MacDonald ) , below.


GTPR Dining Car/Hotel Service



Station Index



©