[[sask:towns:estevan:streets:4th:1100blocksouthside]]




Estevan, Saskatchewan, Canada

1100 Block, South Side

South Side, 12th Ave. to 11th Ave (Even Numbered Lots)

Block 42, Lot 1-20, #1138-#1102

Lot 1-3- #1138- Originally built as the Hamilton Bank of Canada in 1910 ; CIBC Bank (2017)

Before the Hamilton Bank was built on this lot, the Miner's Boarding House, used in conjuntion with the Dominion Coal Mine, in the ravine west end of town, was moved here, for a short time, and then moved to 3rd st. for the Lee Funeral Home, when the bank was built.

#1138- Abraham Rosenberg was located here in 1921, Jeweler and Watchmaker, lived on 3rd St.

#1138- Albert J. Logan, Optician Office located here in 1921

#1136 4th st.- Peter Cumming had a Meat Market here, where he also lived, in 1921 ; M. Mandel & Co. in 1955, owner Max Mandel ;

#1134- 4th st.- “McCready & Holden” Men's Clothing & Shoes Store was located here in 1921, George E. McCready owner, built before 1909. One record says #1132 was the address ; Economy Block here in 1955, MacLeod's Ltd., Roy Witherspoon, Manager.

Lot 4-5- #1132- Building built just after the turn of the century, per Historical Walking tour Booklet. In 1909 George Macready and James Holden bought the building, and ran a men's clothing store the McCready's store Upstairs was a hall used for church services, meetings and social events. He had one of the First Electric Signs in Estevan on his store, per the booklet.

Lot 6- #1130- King Drugs in 1955, R. S. King pharmacist

Lot 7- #1128- A. F. Milne, Confection & Bakery here in 1921, Adam F. Milne, who lived at #108 12th Ave.; Gow's Bakery was here in 1955, Norval B. Gow, Prop., he lived upstairs

Lot 8- lot 9- #1124-
Tower Cafe (2017)

Lot 10- #1122-
\

Lot 11- #1120- “The Leader Store” was here in 1921, owned by Lewis Hirt, who lived at #1221 3rd St.

Lot 12- #1118- Singer Sewing Machine Co. located here in 1921- Raymond A. Carse Agent, Miner Hildall salesman, and Florence Peterson, Hemsticher, in 1921; The Jonas Gustaf “Gust” Peterson family lived here in 1921, Gustaf owned the Eureka Brick Plant, and the Shand Mine, as well as farming. b-Aug 22, 1869 in Lindas, Sweden, d-Apr 14, 1948, in Shand SK., buried in Estevan City Cemetery. Gustaf immigrated to New York, USA in 1888, and Canada in 1903, from Wilmar, Minnesota. Wife- Lydia Peterson, nee ?, b-ca 1894 in 1921, in NB, Canada, daughter, Elna E. Peterson, b- ca 1918 in SK, Irene H. Peterson, ca 1919 in USA, Warren F. Peterson, and Grant A. Peterson. Warren and Grant were twins born in 1921 in SK.. The 4 children all went to ECI, all deceased. In 1901 Gust was Travelling Superintendent of the New London Milling Co., New London,Kandiyohi, MN. He left Wilmar, MN., Dec 15, 1903, as he got a job as Bookkeeper for the Estevan, Coal, Wood and Brick Co. in one article, and Manager of the Eureka Brick and Coal Co. in another.

Lot 13- #1116- Mehler's Radio & TV Repair, in 1955

Lot 14- #1114-

Lot 15- #1112- John Mathieson family lived here in 1921, b-age 60 in USA. Wife- Martha Mathieson, their son John Mathieson Jr, and his wife Alvina, and daughter Helen.,

Lot 16- #1110-

Lot 17- #1108- Dr. Creighton's Office- built by H. E. McKenzie in 1910. Dr. Carlisle Purdon, Dentist office, located here in 1921, he lived at 1408 2nd st. b- Feb 21, 1887, Cromarty, Hibbert Twsp., Perth Co., Ontario, Canada, d- Feb 23, 1951 in Estevan. Buried in Estevan City Cemetery. He married Beatrice Powell, Oct 5, 1914 . Son of Robert Purdon and Isabella Gillespie. ; Obviously a doctor's office here as well in 1921- Dr. Thomas Draper, b- ca 1896 in ON, and also the owner Dr. James Forbes Creighton, b- age 42 in 1921, in ON. Medical Doctors, were working here in 1921.

Lot 18-20- #1102- Estevan City Hall


©

  • Last modified: 2018/12/06 18:58
  • by dlgent