Overview Map Move North Move West Move East

Place shown on map above:

Alameda
Frobisher
Oxbow
Openshaw
Souris River
Northgate
Elcott
Rapeard

Stony Run School #1051- Section 15, Township 1, Range 3, W2

Out of Sight School #1345- SE Section 5, Township 2, Range 3, W2

Portion Tsp 4, Portion Rge 4, W2

Portion Tsp 4, Rge 3, W2

Alameda,
Town, 1902 ft Elevation,
Sec 1, Township 4, Range 3, W2
Latitude- 49° 16' 05“ N
Longitude- 102° 17' 13” W

Highway 9 runs N & S

Portion Tsp 4, Most of Rge 2, W2

Moose Mountain Creek

Tsp 3, Portion Rge 4, W2

Portion of Frobisher,
Village, 1891 ft elevation
Sec 13, Township 3, Range 4, W2
Latitude- 49° 12' 35“ N
Longitude- 102° 25' 37” W

Tsp 3, Rge 3, W2

Mayflower School #866,
NE 1/4 Sec 32 , Township 3, Range 3, W2
John Fraser Moffet had a homestead grant on this lot
Hjortur Bergsteinsson credited with forming this school

South Alameda School #96,
SW 1/4 Sec 13, Township 3, Range 3, W2

Highway 9 runs N & S

Tsp 3, Most of Rge 2, W2

Oxbow,
(Note- Latin for Oxbow is Boscurvis)
Town, 1902 Ft. Elevation
Sec 23, Township 3, Range 2, W2
Latitude- 49° 13' 48“ N
Longitude- 102° 10' 09” W

Rapeard,
CPR train siding,
East 1/2, Sec 32, Township 3, Range 2, W2
There was a Water Tower, and Y in the Rails at this point.
ca 1907-1909 this Water Tower was removed, and a new Train Water system installed in Oxbow.
Siding named after Robert A. Peard,
born in England, age 25 in 1906,
immigrating in 1902?,
CP Train dispatcher in Brandon,
(Name per Bill Barry's book, “People Places”).

Bow School #165
NE 1/4 Sec 2, Tsp 3, Rge 2, W2,
3 miles S of Oxbow
Closed in 1946

Moose Mountain Creek

Dominion Government Coal Test Site #2
NW Section 15, Township 3, Range 2, W2
at Junction of Moose Mountain Creek and the Souris River, just SW of Oxbow
1880- This was the second test drill site,
Driller William Henry McGarvey, under Professor Alfred R. C. Selwyn's supervision from Montreal,
Director of the Geological Survey of Canada, looking for coal in this area, for commercial use.
A small Coal Mine did form just north of this spot, and later abandoned.

Tsp 2, Portion Rge 4, W2 Tsp 2, Rge 3, W2
Openshaw,
unincorporated area, 1864 ft elevation
Sec 26, Township 2, Range 3, W2
Latitude- 49° 09' 00“ N
Longitude- 102° 19' 02” W

Out Of Sight School # 1345, SE 1/4 Sec 5, Township 2, Range 3, W2

Roscoe School # 1100, NE 1/4 Sec 23, Township 2, Range 3, W2
Openshaw is shown just NE of the Roscoe School

Unknown School No 1 NE 1/4 Sec 19, Tsp 2, Rge 3, W2, 4 miles E of Openshaw

Highway 9 runs N & S

Tsp 2, Most of Rge 2, W2

Marconi School # 1313, NW 1/4 Sec 10, Township 2, Range 2, W2

Tsp 1, Portion Rge 4, W2

McColl School # 2539, NE 1/4 Sec 12, Township 1, Range 4, W2

Tsp 1, Rge 3, W2

Elcott,
unincorporated area, 1843 ft elevation
SW 1/4 Sec 24, Township 1, Range 3, W2
Latitude- 49° 03' 00“ N
Longitude- 102° 18' 02” W
At one time there was a Elevator, and a GTP Railway station. The station burnt down Feb 1919.

Parkfield,
(not shown on map)
SE Sec 31, Township 1, Range 3, W2
just North of the Souris River
Here was a Post Office run by Luke David Thompson, out of his home,
b- Oct 1868 probably in Watertown SD, US
d- Nov 1958
and his wife Dora Thompson, nee Morris
Luke immigrated to Canada in ca 1900.

Stony Run School # 1051, SW 1/4 Sec 15, Township 1, Range 3, W2

Highway 9 runs N & S

Tsp 1 , Most of Rge 2, W2

Northgate,
unincorporated area, 1841 ft elevation
established in 1913 with the coming of the Railroad
Sec 6, Township 1, Range 2, W2
Latitude- 49° 00' 00“ N
Longitude- 102° 16' 02” W
I have a web page for Northgate

Souris River,
Unincorporated area, 1705 ft elevation
Sec 30/31, Township 1, Range 2, W2
Latitude- 49° 05' 00“ N
Longitude- 102° 16' 02” W

Kopperud Lutheran Church / Cemetery, set up the Norwegian Synod, SE Section 18, Tsp 1, Rge 2, W2

Boscurvis Methodist (United) Church, 5 mi E of Elcott, on NW Sec 14, Tsp 1, Rge 2, W2

St. Peter German Lutheran Church, 3 mi E and 2 mi N of Elcott, on SE Sec 32, Tsp 1, Rge 2, W2

Scout Hill School # 617, SW 1/4 Sec 22, Township 1, Range 2, W2

Rivière Des Lacs Lake
Lake between SK, Canada and ND, USA
It is thought the lake was part of the Souris River at one point, and a land slide caused the Souris River to change direction, creating this Lake.

Common Waterways

Souris River (aka, Mouse River, St. Pierre)
Tributary of the Assiniboine River, Originates in Yellow Grass marshes, north of Weyburn, SK.
Goes down to Minot, ND, USA, then back up into Manitoba, Canada, ending at the Assiniboine River.
The mouth of the Souris was the site of Two Rivers School, and a short lived village called Souris Mouth, and/or Two Rivers,
which today, is just a couple miles, NE of Treesbank Manitoba
700 km (435 mi) in length and drains about 17,600 square miles
2 dams are on this river now, Rafferty and Alameda

Moose Mountain Creek
a Tributary of the Souris River
Moose Mountain Park area drains into the Souris, via this creek.
It is shown running north by Rapeard
The mouth of the creek at the Souris River, is just west of Oxbow.

Highway 18 on this old 1927 map running East and West from Bienfait to the Manitoba border, is quite a bit different today.
The Highway has been shortened up considerably

  • Last modified: 2018/03/02 22:20
  • by dlgent