[[sask:coal:mines:souris]]


Souris Coal Mine Company Ltd.

Coalfields, Taylorton, Saskatchewan, Canada

Souris Coal Mining Co. Ltd.

Coalfields Location, became Taylorton,
Township 1, Range 6, W2

Incorporated in 1899, located at Coalfields, 8 miles from the boundary line.

President and General Manager was
Richard Ratcliffe Taylor,
b- 1851 in Lancashire England,
(who Taylorton was named after),
His son, John Taylor,
b- 1875,
was Secretary and Treasurer.
His oldest child, George Ormerod Taylor,
b- 1872
Samuel Taylor- (see Note lower),
and John C. Graham, were the Board of Directors.

Aug 1, 1899
R. R. Taylor bought NE section 5, Tsp 2, Rge 6, W2 from the CPR
first under his name, then Souris Coal Mining Co.
He bought 160 acres at $10/acre
July 20, 1900 the Souris Coal Mining Co bought NW Sec 17, Township 2, Range 6, W2, from the CPR 160 acres for $3/acre

In 1901 they produced 40,000 tons, shipped thru Bienfait on the Estevan Branch of the CPR on a company built 4 1/2 mile spur to the mine.
Dec 29, 1904, they employed 300 men, and coal demand was so great, more men were wanted.
At that time they had a switch, connecting their mine to the Soo at Roche Percee, and another short line connected them with the Brandon- Estevan Line at Bienfait.

May 2, 1902

on the letterhead- D. C. Cameron- President
Sir Douglas Colin Cameron
b- June 5, 1854 Prescott County, ON
d- Nov 27, 1921 in Winnipeg, MB
buried in St, John's Cemetery in Winnipeg
Served as Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba 1911-1916
He was a millionaire who served on many Company boards,
and owned various companies, mostly in the Lumber area.
Jan 1, 1914, made Knights Commander of the Order of St. Michael and St. George
In 1904 it was the oldest, and largest mine in the District, and their principal output was from the old Hassard Mine.

July 5, 1906

In 1906 they produced over 100,000 tons annually.
Shipped as far west as Moose Jaw, and as far east as Tyndall.
In 1906 it had a paid up capital of $200,000.00


Photo of an old building with Souris Coal Mining company Ltd. logo painted on the side
This photo came from Mr. Ron Carpenter, grandson of one of the Hamilton Brothers, that owned the Crescent Mine. Thanks Ron!

Note- I think Samuel was his nephew, son of an Anne Taylor.
a widow who lived next door To Richard R. Taylor in England.
In Dec 1906 the railroad spur to the mines was snowed in the CPR loaned an engine and a snow plow to the mine to clear the snow so that 30-40 cars could be loaded.
At the time, Dec 17, it was reported Brandon was out of Coal, Schools and Hotels were closed, Families forced to move out of their homes.
The Electric Light Co was also running out of coal.
It was the same in Hartney MB. and also across the line.
This mine was heavily relied on to supply the coal for winter.


©

  • Last modified: 2017/10/21 11:49
  • by dlgent