[[sask:coal:mines:excelsior]]


Excelsior Coal and Brick Co.

Pinto, Saskatchewan, Canada

Excelsior Coal and Brick Company Mine
aka- Excelsior Coal Company Ltd.

Located at Section 30, Township 1, Range 5, W2

About 1 mile East of Pinto SK., Located on the Soo Line


1927 map, shows many buildings in this area

Not operated in 1917
Owner-Operator unknown

Per Arnie Jahn, Excelsior was an actual place, about a mile or two southeast of Pinto on the rail line.
It was a place where they made bricks stamped “Excelsior Coal Co Ltd Winnipeg”

Here is an ad from June 22, 1912, wanting to exchange shares in the company for cash.

George Pocock suggested a place name of Excelsior, wonder if this was from that suggestion.
Below are 2 bricks from this mine, Obviously they found white clay as well.

Photo courtesy Arnie Jahn and Mary Rose Boyer.
Sad to report Mary Rose passed away in Jan 2012.

In the Central School History book in Estevan it reports this:
“The first bricks made in Southern Saskatchewan was about July 1894, one mile east of Taylorton bridge. These bricks were of very good quality.
This permitted the homesteaders to replace the tin roof-jacks, with brick chimneys on their dwellings.
In 1892 and 1893 two lime kilns were also in operation on the river bank east of Taylorton.
These industries later moved to Shand and Estevan”

Company shows up in 1920-21 with Thomas Nutt as the Manager
1911 Thomas Nutt was a farmer in North Portal area.
b- June 1861 in Scotland, immigrated in 1889
wife- Jane Nutt, nee ?, b- Mar 1859 in ON


©

  • Last modified: 2017/10/21 11:38
  • by dlgent